RA

February 2024 Residents Association Meeting Minutes

Present: Paul FitzGerald, Margaret Blair, Jane Comben, Gay Hay, Nicky Winchester, Chris Kirk Burnard, Iain MacLean, Chris Kirk-Burnnand
Apologies: Ross Leggett
Motion: Iain moved to accept December minutes, Gay seconded – carried

Matters arising from previous minutes.

Action completed: Paul sent the letter to Chris Kirk-Burnnand as per correspondence.

Finance Report to February 2023 Meeting as at 13 February 2024

Motion: That any adhoc expenditure over $300 from any of the subgroups groups should be approved by the RA committee. This could be by email. Authority is delegated to subgroups to approve adhoc expenditure under $300.
Proposed by Margaret, Seconded by Nikky – Carried

BNZ   		$10,919.43  
Income:		
$ 3000.00	CGFF Tea Towel loan  
$   740.00	CGFF Tea Towel Prepay
$     27.70	CGFF Donation
$ 1500.00	CGFF Donation K & I MacLean
$   170.00	CGFF Plant Sales  
$   240.00	He Ara Prints   
$   470.00	Kōrero Advert

Expenditure:	
$        3.24     Bank Fees 
$    101.74     CGFF Gas & Kettle 
$      40.00     CGFF RSA Voucher
			
Invoices - Issued	
$1350.00  	Kōrero 
				  	
Account balances as at 13 February 2024

Res Assn 000    	$  238.10
He Ara 001		$1637.00
CGFF 002		$6978.21
Kōrero 066		$1911.15
Surf Seat 067		$  154.93

Motion: To approve the Financial Report Dated 13th February 2024 moved Paul, seconded Gay – Carried

Correspondence.

21 Dec 2023:  From  Richard Pole PCC, content about rail and Muri Road history. Response from Paul FitzGerald suggesting He Ara
16 December 2023: From Paul FitzGerald To Chris Kirk-Burnnand Content – KiwiRail cost of access to CCFF
19 December 2023:
From Chris Kirk-Burnnand – contact with Fiona Abbott GW to KiwiRail cost of access to CCFF
December to the website, from Tom RE: He Ara – bollards
10 Jan 2024: from Maureen Clift – regarding Ross Brown
13 February 2024 : Contact from Bill Inge – regarding the cleaning of mural tagging next week.

Project Updates

Community Garden

Gay Hay –
Successful Summer Celebration on Wellington Anniversary Day
Despite some rain, 25-30 ish locals visited the garden for our Summer Celebration. We had plant and flower sales, tea towel orders, local art, rock painting and storytime for the children, refreshments and the official presentation and planting of Iain McLean’s plum tree (that was donated to him by Ahu Charitable Trust). Brian kindly wrote this poem on behalf of the PKB Community:

Iain’s Plum Tree Poem
Here we stand in readiness
On a day that’s orchestrated
To see the place where we will plant
A tree that Iain’s donated

This isn’t just a fruiting tree
Like the others already here
This one will help remind us of
Today, this month, this year

You see if it wasn’t for Iain’s drive
His strength and his tenacity
To match the Council’s rules and regs
With his patience and technocality

There wouldn’t be a Garden here today
Where we can join together
To celebrate the Community spirit
In this perfect planting weather
(22 January 2024)

Summer Watering
We’re decided to divide the garden into areas which various people will take responsibility to keep
watered (while we’re still able to use hand held hoses).

Progress on Pavilion
The scaffolding is down and the pavilion is looking great! Special thanks to Paul for fixing up the school desks.Some more work to be done inside but it’s looking very smart.

Progress on composting
The worm bin is installed and in use.

Fundraising tea towel
Pre-orders are open for our beautiful tea towel featuring Kate Jacobs artwork.

Statement of the community garden
We’re working on a statement of purpose for the community garden to share with Ngati Toa and aid funding applications. To date it is:

STATEMENT OF PURPOSE
At Pukerua Bay Food Forest and Community Garden, we unite as a collective strength, fostering social bonds, engaging tamariki, and educating our community on sustainable gardening practices.
Run by volunteers, we strive to produce healthy, local food while supporting community resilience through sustainable initiatives.
Our garden is a thriving hub. Together, we are sowing the seeds of a greener, healthier, and more connected Pukerua Bay for generations to come.
Motto:
‘E hara taku toa I te toa takitahi he toa takitini.’’
‘My strength is not as an individual, but as a collective.

Family Day
Whanau from Ireland and the UK attended a morning tea in the garden with lots of delicious baking!

Childrens’ Gardening Group
Gay is looking at funding for a possible gardening club for children, possibly in the holidays. Pip who has taken over the School’s after school care is interested.

Iain’s Wake
The CCFF are helping Kate and family cater and set up the school and community hall for Iain McLean’s wake when the time comes. They have generously offered us funds to do this.

PKB Hub
Approached The CCFF regarding matariki events in the garden

Charcoal
Paekakariki Community garden have offered to run a biochar workshop in the garden in their new machine.

He Ara Pukerua

St Luke’s Panel: Installed and blessed by Rev Motekiai Fakatou at service on Sunday 11 February.


• Stores Panel: Margaret to follow up with Janine Thomson, grand daughter of Annie and Arthur Lindsay, to come along for the reveal of this panel.
• Pou: Draft returned to Jane for two small layout changes.
• Website: We will send through material to Anne according to what we have in budget to pay her.
• Funding: We will keep at this.
• Mission Statement: Considered, to read:
“The vision of He Ara Pukerua is that of a community where everyone has the opportunity to share knowledge of Pukerua Bay’s history and heritage.
“For a community to thrive they need to know their history.”
• Muri pavilion: Final stages of renovation nearing completion. Then we will celebrate.
• Stuff archive: Ashley contacted Lance. Lance talked to management and was informed that Fairfax Media had removed them and sent to the Wellington Library? He is still pursuing this.
• Responded to email query received via Residents website regarding bollards without panels.

Kōrero

Gone to Anne for layout and a meeting is being held on Thursday.

Wastefree PKB

Want to set a date for a new recycling day. Nicky wants to reach out to the climate group for helpers

General Business

Motion: Gay proposes approval to apply for funding from the Sutherland Self Help Trust for educational purposes associated with the CCFF. Moved Gay – Carried, all agreed

Muri Road Development update
Jennian Homes (PK homes development) have approved consent. 144 lots, 2 local purpose reserves, mixture of stand-alone and terraced housing. Trees removed out onto Highway 59.

St Marks
Question about progress on the use of St Marks.

Closed: 9pm

Next Meeting: March 12th

February 2024 Residents Association Meeting Minutes Read More »

December 2023 Residents Association meeting minutes

12 December 2023

Present: Paul FitzGerald, Margaret Blair, Jonathan Harker, Jane Comben, Gay Hay, Nicky Winchester, Chris Kirk Burnard, Iain MacLean
Apologies: none
Motion: Iain moves to approve previous minutes subject to name update and adding Wellington Water information.Paul second – all passed.

Council Updates

GWRC –
Kapiti Line Services increasing costs as KiwiRail have responsibility to maintain infrastructure but they flagged it early enough.
Funding for 9 mill for trains. It will double Wairarapa services, and quadruple train services on Kapiti and extend to Levin. GWRC makes losses on service. Used to be dollar for dollar but costs have moved onto ratepayers. It’s now 1 to 3. 39 million trips this year which is back up to 2019 levels. New ticketing system is coming which gives better control over ticketing.

Long Term Plan coming out early March for consultation. LTP working with 6 different iwi which has extended consultation time. Chris was unhappy with suggested 40% increases to maintain level of service. Now should be about 20% then 18% and 16%.

Wants more money to be put into flood protection as money has been spent on Riverlink costs – so flood protection reduced elsewhere. We have trouble with Porirua stream.

Lets get wellington moving – change of govt means it won’t go ahead in its current form.

Centreport – 3 new directors including Helmut from iwi in Porirua. Chris  supports moves to get strong commercial return and benefits over the next few years for ratepayers. See it as similar asset to airports.

PKB boat ramp. PCC is responsible but needs resource consent from GWRC. Chris supporting update.

Northern Growth – Wellington water not sure they can supply water and infrastructure for that number of houses.

Action – Paul FitzGerald, Community Garden. Send Chris a letter about the costs to the garden for KiwiRail access and indemnity and he will look into it.

Matters Arising

Previous minutes note adding Iain as a signatory to the check account – he says don’t rush.

Financial report 

Finance Report to December 2023 Meeting   as at 11 December 2023

BNZ                            $ 4917.23
Income:                     $  20.00        He Ara Koha
                                    $100.00        He Ara Prints    
                                    $  50.00        He Ara Donation    
                                    $274.00        CGFF  RSA Quiz 
 
Expenditure:            $       0.80    Bank Fees 
                                    
Invoices - Issued     Nil 
                                                            
Account balances as at 11 December 2023
 
Res Assn 000           $  238.10
He Ara 001               $1397.60
CGFF 002                 $1685.45
Kōrero 066               $1441.15
Surf Seat 067           $  154.93

Motion: Paul moved to pass the financials, Iain second – all passed.

Correspondence

5 December 2023: From Philippa Cox to Moira and Paul about the Scientific reserve

Action items

None

Project Updates

Community Garden – below
He Ara Pukerua – no report
Kōrero – below
Climate Action – below
Waste Free PKB – no report

Community Garden

Gay Hay –
Summer Watering
Need a roster. Still need to turn on as not enough soak hoses set up.
Volunteers please. Matt Meladonis is willing to help with an irrigation system.
Progress on Pavilion
Roof is painted, barge boards, finials are up. Jacob Slankard is a local carpenter who has offered to help complete the pavilion.
Progress on composting

Brian has met with Neil and ready to relocate and set up the worm bin. Funds from RSA quiz going to the bin set up.
Grass cutting
We are sequestering carbon by letting the grass grow with paths cut through it.
Brian topped the grass near Terry’s fence as a fire break.
Progress on tea towel
Kate is working with design and sourcing costings for quality printing.
Anniversary Day event
Details to be confirmed at next meeting.
Control of pests
Ashley has noticed issues with the beans. We have agreed to try ‘Quash’ an environmentally friendly slug bait. Any more donations of food bag wool is welcome as it helps mulch and keeps snails out.
Budget
Currently we have $1411.45 which needs to be used for the KiwiRail $462 and public liability $655.

$462 Kiwirail
$655 public liability
$200 pavilion
$300 compost

Planning is underway for a fundraising calendar for 2025

Statement of the community garden
We need a statement of the purpose of the community garden to share with Ngati Toa (for a te reo name) and aid funding applications. We understand Lenka has done the initial work on this and need to check with her on this.
Family Day
We planning an afternoon tea at the garden for visiting families from overseas. 27th Jan or maybe the Anniversary day.

Korero

Iain MacLean – Planning meeting held Thursday 30 November.
First issue for next year is well underway with a theme of ‘reading’. We have a draft outline for the next 3 issues.

Climate Action

Jane Comben –
We had successful events.
WREMO (Wellington Regional Emergency Management Office) workshop on 25 Nov was attended by 9 locals. We took notes and have suggestions to have a follow up event in March/April. Beach clean-up – 10 Dec Brendan Beach was a success despite bad weather (11 locals). Meg talked to Briony about possibly helping to clear the path of sand.

General Business:

District Plan decisions

Iain MacLean – email from Council with changes to the District Plan from the draft to the final released last week. 

Things added to final District Plan

Climate change and resilience [a whole new part added to the introduction] 
The development will incorporate design principles that anticipate the effects of climate change, to mitigate its impacts, to avoid contributing to it and to increase community resilience. 

Freshwater management areas [single sentence added] 

Other activities may also need to locate or be undertaken within these areas to enable the wider development of the area, such as infrastructure or earthworks.  

Connectivity [single sentence added] 

The form of this access [to SH59] is to be informed by a transport strategy that will be developed in collaboration with key stakeholders and lead by the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency. 

DEV-NG-02 Planning urban built environment of the Northern Growth Development Area [words in bold added] 

5. Predominantly medium density housing with a variety of housing types, sizes and tenures; 

7. An urban form that is integrated with the transport network, and encourages public and active transport modes while minimising reliance on private vehicles

DEV-NG-P2 Subdivision [words in bold added] 

4. Provides a transport network layout and design that: 

    a.  Is safe for all transport users

    b.  Recognises and provides for transport connections at the boundaries of the Development Area where opportunities exist, including an appropriate connection to State Highway 59

Things removed from draft and not included in the final

Words in bold and italics and in square braces deleted]

DEV-NG-P3 [Potentially] Appropriate development

Only allow subdivision, use and development that is [potentially] not in accordance with the Northern Growth Development Area Structure Plan where it is demonstrated that it is appropriate for such subdivision, use or development to occur within the Development Area, having regard to whether: 

1. The purpose and effects of the subdivision, use or development are likely to constrain, limit or compromise the intended development and use of the Development Area as set out in the Structure Plan, including consideration of… 

WREMO – Emergency exercises

Run by Whetu Bennett. As mentioned above in Climate Action report section, we discussed having quarterly events/workshops at the RSA for interested people and possibly setting up a kit at the RSA as a backup to the school one.

PKB Hub

Christmas on the field not happening this year. There was an attempt to separate the PKB Hub from Ahu Trust. That didn’t work this year as both were run by the same people. They didn’t have the people to run Christmas on the Field so it’s not going ahead. Suggested that cancelation was communicated to the community and also to give people a chance to step up.

Meeting closed: 8.50pm 

Next Meeting: February 13th 2024

December 2023 Residents Association meeting minutes Read More »

New constitution for Pukerua Bay Residents’ Association

The government has changed the legislation on incorporated societies (The Incorporated Societies Act 2022, passed on 6 April 2022), and this has some impact on both the Residents’ Association’s constitution and some of our practices. As a result, we need to change the constitution and have the changes approved by the Annual General Meeting on 11 October 2023.

New constitution for Pukerua Bay Residents’ Association Read More »

2022 AGM reports now available

Annual reports for this year’s Annual General Meeting are available online. These include the Chair’s report from the committee, the financial statements, the Village Plan, and reports on activities by various groups operating under the umbrella of the Residents’ Association.

2022 AGM reports (PDF)

Agenda

Wednesday, 19 October @ 7:00 pm – 9:00 pm

Pukerua Bay Community and School Hall, Rawhiti Road

  • Welcome and Apologies
  • Guest Speaker: Tony Sutorius, Deputy Chief Fire Officer, Plimmerton Volunteer Fire Brigade
  • Adoption of the Minutes from 2021 Annual General Meeting
  • Adoption of Annual report of the Chair and committee, including reports on:
    • Village Plan
    • He Ara Pukerua
    • Community Garden and Food Forest
    • Surfers’ Seat
    • Kōrero
    • Waste Free Pukerua Bay
  • Adoption of Financial report
  • General business
    • Adoption of the Village Plan
    • Climate Change
    • Incorporated Societies Act 2022-Changes to membership.
  • Election of Executive Committee members

2022 AGM reports now available Read More »

December 2021 Residents’ Association meeting minutes

14 December 2021
Present: Paul FitzGerald, Mel Galletly, Moira Lawler, Jon Harker, Kate Dreaver, Iain MacLean, Lenka Horanska, Margaret Blair, Claire Giblin (PCC), Luke Benner (PCC)
Apologies: Nikky Winchester, Pauline Morum, Euon Murrell, Jenny Brash, Chris Kirk Burnand, Kelly McClean

December 2021 Residents’ Association meeting minutes Read More »