There are many household items that can be recycled, but not through the normal household collections (i.e. your Council recycling bin). These items are difficult for individual households to deal with because they need to be recycled in bulk. With the support of Porirua Council and the Pukerua Bay Residents Association, Waste Free PKB is running a community recycling programme. Pukerua Bay residents and businesses can drop off their items at any time of day or night. Each type of item will then be collected by the appropriate organisation.
How does it work?
There is a lidded plastic box under the letterbox at 17 Sea Vista Drive. You can put the
following items into the box at any time:
- Coffee capsules: L’OR and Moccona (aluminium only), Nescafé Dolce Gusto
- Yoghurt pouches and caps
- The Collective probiotic yoghurt: Suckies pouches and caps, tubes, tubs and lids, bottles and caps, and halloumi wrapping
- Sealord Tuna Express pouches and Tuna Pockets
- Cling wrap, snaplock bags, freezer bags, zipslide bags, and polypropylene food storage containers (look for PP5 on the bottom of the container).
- Jeuneora protein powder pots and scoops.
- Toothpaste tubes and caps, toothbrushes, toothbrush and toothpaste tube outer packaging and floss containers. (all excess toothpaste and floss must be removed first)
- Ordinary household batteries (AA and AAA sizes only)
- All items must be empty, clean and dry.
- Coffee capsules for brands other than those mentioned above are not recyclable through this programme.
- Food storage containers which do not have PP5 printed on the bottom are not recyclable through this programme.
- Electronic toothbrushes and electronic toothbrush parts are not recyclable through this programme.
If items are dropped off which are wet or dirty, they may contaminate other items in the entire box, which could result in the entire contents of the box having to be thrown away.
PLEASE ENSURE EVERYTHING IS CLEAN, DRY AND EMPTY
Where does my waste go?
Terracycle is an international recycling company that has become a global leader in recycling typically non-recyclable waste. It offers a range of free programmes that are funded by conscientious companies. Qualifying waste earns Terracycle points which are redeemable for a cash payment to a not for profit organisation or school of your choice. Any Terracycle points collected by Pukerua Bay will therefore be redeemed for donations to Pukerua Bay School.
Sustainability Trust in central Wellington take a wide range of e-waste, including standard household batteries. These are sent on to their partner, IT Recycla, who is currently stockpiling them while researching a commercially viable solution for the reuse or recycling of both lithium and alkaline batteries. They are never sent to the landfill.
How do I find out more?
Join the Waste Free Pukerua Bay Facebook group or get in touch with the contact form below.