May 2024 Residents’ Association meeting minutes

Minutes Tuesday 14 May 2024
7:30 –9:00 pm RSA Wairaka Rd

Attending: Ross Leggett, Chris Kirk-Burnnand, Paul FitzGerald, Margaret Blair, Jane Comben, Gay Hay, Jonothan Harker, Iain MacLean. Ashley Blair, Hugh Evans
Apologies: Nikky Winchester

Council Updates


Summary of submissions out today – plenty have come through. Hearings starting soon. Drop in sessions.

Community Garden – has a reply for a meeting with KiwiRail. Escarpment Walkway have access way and questioning why we can’t back onto that. Chris says GWRC They have leverage on other issues

Meeting with Simeon Brown mentioned about ferry terminal cancelled. Was going to be 1000 year resilience and pointless if everything else was is damaged in a massive earthquake.


Long Term Plan consultation Paul and Iain presented a submission today.

We aren’t the only ones who commented on Village Planning. There is a conversation for councillors on that.

Plimmerton Farm have applied for fast track consenting. A panel will be put up from PCC and fresh water experts etc. Draft comments PCC generally supportive of development. The extra special development (SDP) would be led by Kainga Ora and planned properly. Council are having a briefing in coming weeks about benefits of PCC taking part or not. In theory a good idea but in practice more mixed. PCC don’t have to take part in it. Barber development would be part of SDP. Some developers including Barber are ready to go. PCC worried about downstream load on sewage, silt, mana waste-water, etc.

Wellington Region water options are open to discussion.

Love Local trade show coming up again.

Career expo in Arena was successful.

New hub sign installed to replace Civil Defence

Ross on Transport Committee – new government seems to be moving away from cycle ways but being addressed in other ways.

Escarpment domes and replanting

Discussion with Hugh Evans (Floruit)

Regenerative Tourism — focus as social enterprise, investing in marginal farmland to plant mostly native forest. Looking at 5 sites around NZ. This is a pilot and test for accommodation for revenue to plant Verity and Pamela’s farm. ¾ through build. Resort consent for 5 years with strict conditions. 3 domes accommodation, 1 is a communal dome. Max 12 people on site. First year just over hectare planned for planting. They are interested in relationship of people and place. Larger model will have a membership model. Plan for 2040 timescale.

Previous project Thankyou Payroll transitioning to steward ownership. Into a trust with all profits into a trust to be a self-funded charity. They want a similar approach with this project. Profits from carbon sequestration, all sites will have grant making and employment opportunities. They starting people staying in one month.

Fencing needs to be done with Hamish the farmer. They only need about 500 metres. Access through Woolshed road and their carpark on a 4 wheel track. Composting and waste water large dispersal field.

Approval of April 2024 minutes

Motion: Paul moved to accept April minutes, Iain seconded – all agreed, carried.

Matters arising from previous minutes

Action – Long Term Plan Submission made.

Finance report

As at 10 May 2024

$ 11.19 Interest
$ 10.00 Seeds
$ 2860.00 TT
$ 20.00 Surf Seat Postcards

$ 517.50 Korero Printing
$ 50.00 TT Refund
$ 4264.20 TT Printing
$ 5.20 Bank Fees

Funds Transfer

Invoices – Issued

Account balances as at 10 May 2024

Res Assn 000 $ 255.19
He Ara 001 $ 1504.22
CGFF 002 $ 396.41
Kōrero 066 $ 1907.97
Surf Seat 067 $ 174.93
On Call Acct 025 $ 4511.92

Motion: Paul moved to accept May financials, Gay seconded – all agreed, carried.


Contact through website looking for Margaret Blair.

Project updates

Community Garden & Food Forest

  • Tea Towel sales
    108 sold, need to sell 50 more to cover costs.
    Payment made to printers
    We need to develop a marketing plan to complete sales. Action Jane to promote on Facebook through all channels we can think of.
  • Matariki & Crankie
    Thanks to Peter Stevenson (Welsh artist /storyteller) for his generous contribution of his talent and time to this concept. Thanks to Brian for the wonderful Crankie construction.
  • Compost
    Paul and Brian have built an amazing set of 3 bins. Vicky will manage the making of compost with help from Brian and Cory (Wellesley Sustainable Trust).
  • Tree Crop Trust Application and project.
    $1000 applied for to buy trees, signage and promotional pamphlets. Thanks to Jonathan for his computer skills to complete application.
  • Tree Crop visit
    Approximately 20 people from Wellington / Horowhenua Tree Crops Association will visit garden 18 May at 1pm. Jane to welcome, Ara to present history of the garden, Gay to talk about current projects. We will provide afternoon tea and promote tea towels.
  • Work day 9 June
    Poster in Residents Association notice board, Facebook promo.
    Cory from Wellesley Sustainable Trust has agreed to talk about liquid composts we can make for our gardens. He asked for a Koha.
  • Kindergarten visit
    Proposed for last Wednesday of May (29th).
    They have asked for a Crankie presentation of the Matariki story at the kindergarten. We need to confirm with storyteller.
  • Identifying of fruit trees
    Paul has made good progress with this. Agreed to purchase a ‘poker’ to write names onto wood. More computer details to access information may be added later.
    Lenka has asked for our support to cater John’s birthday at RSA. She will make a donation to the garden.
  • Cranky
    Thanks to the generous contribution Peter Stevenson from Wales made to us having a Crankie. During his visit to Aotearoa last year and his visit to our Garden, Peter put forward the idea of a Crankie for our Community Garden. Peter is a world renowned story teller, illustrator and collector. Peter’s son is now resident in our country and so Peter will visit him for several months every year. When he was planning his trip this year, he suggested to me that if he could stay in my studio he would paint a Crankie for us as a donation to our Garden.  Gay, can you help me here? Was it after meeting with you and Moira Wairama, that we as a collective came up with the idea of a Matariki themed story for the Crankie. Gay arranged permissions from Moira and also Margaret Tolland who illustrated Moira’s book ‘Nanny Jo and the Wild Mokopuna’. Peter based his illustrations on Margaret’s work. He did not copy but was inspired by Margaret’s work. Within Moira’s book Nanny Jo tells the story of the great fisherman Taramainuku and it is this story that Peter painted onto our Crankie Scroll. Brian Sullivan took up the task of creating the frame within which the Crankie scroll sits and is turned for the telling. Brian met with Peter, Peter provided drawings and dimensions for the Crankie house and Brian created a most wonderful home for our Crankies. There are many people to thank for this Crankie we now have and it began with and was facilitated by Peter’s generous offer to our community. 
    Peter is also a story collector and during his next visit to our shores, Gay has suggested the idea of Peter collecting stories of Nobby Clark and creating a Crankie of Nobby’s story.

He Ara

  • He Ara Facebook story about the RSA embroidered tablecloth was well received. Excellent connections made on ANZAC day at the RSA.
  • A very successful team visit to the Mt Welcome Bush as part of research for the Natural History section of our website.
  • The panel for Pou Tangaroa has been through the approval process and is now being manufactured.
  • Tony Jackman has passed to us large crates of papers. The first two covered the bypass v TG issue, reclaiming the gully which is now the Secret Valley, and a few other gems, including an advertisement for the very first Matariki walk in Pukerua Bay.
  • We have been helping to clear the space which housed the Museum at Pukerua Bay School.
  • Rail Comes to Pukerua now on our website:
  • He Ara has registered to be part of the 2024 Heritage Festival


Kōrero is working on this year’s Matariki issue, which incorporates the theme of music. We’re grateful to the Hub for its koha. It means we can support them in their mahi, while also helping to cover our own costs.

We will be making this, or a similar statement, in the editorial:

The Kōrero whānau joins with the Residents’ Association in grieving Council’s decision to end the Village Planning Framework, a process and funding source that has helped facilitate so much that is good in Pukerua Bay, including many of the initiatives and activities shared in these pages. We hope to play a part in finding other ways to give residents a voice in shaping our community and place to be what we want it to be.

The next issue will be published in September and will be on the theme of hauora. The November issue will focus on writers and writing.

We will be applying for a grant from Pelorus Trust after this issue, looking for sufficient funds to cover two issues.

Climate change

May 14 2024 – Moira Visited the local Repair Café in Raumati and we have talked about running another workshop series in September/October.

General business

PCC Long Term Plan – Iain and Paul talked at submissions. There was another submitter talking about composting.

Shared Pathway repairs. – From shop to overbridge. 2 parts to it.
Drainage issue meant water eroded. Council and engineers are discussing and Engineering firm may have to redesign and cover the costs. Further slip – being bundled with other Whitby slips and out for tender. May start in December once process complete.

Closed: 9pm