October 2021 Residents’ Association meeting minutes

Date: 12 October 2021

Present: Paul FitzGerald, Margaret Blair, Mel Galletly, Nikky Winchester, Moira Lawler, Pauline Morum, Jon Harker, Kate Dreaver, Lenka Horanska, Chris Kirk Burnand, Euon Murrell (PCC)
Apologies: Iain MacLean

Minutes of Previous Meeting

Thanks to Jon for doing the minutes.

Motion: Moved Nikky, seconded Mel – approved.

Matters arising

None not on the agenda.

GWRC update (Chris)

Feeling more effective as a Councillor in year 2. Whai Tua – the harbor plan now funded by GWRC – lots of work to be done on water quality in contributing streams. Three waters proposal under discussion. Both Chris and Euon oppose based on government taking over assets without payment. Concern for local community representation. Cost of transport a concern. Not getting increase in passenger numbers. Last year Waka Kotahi met shortfall – doesn’t seem to be happening this year. Riverlink flood prevention programme in the Hutt.

Wairarapa water – private public entity set up to assist with water shortages in Wairarapa. Consenting processes are one of the reasons the company has gone into receivership.

PCC update (Euon)

Three waters is the major issue. The Mayor supports – Euon opposes. Supports change but not this model. Believes review of local government should come first as it will review the role of local government. District Plan hearings are underway.

Recruitment of Chief Executive underway as fifth year of CE has come around.

Resource consents for landfill and Wastewater treatment plan being renewed with GWRC – very expensive process. Titahi Bay Hall now being demolished after many years of discussion.

Euon will follow up on village plan review.

Matters Arising From Previous Minutes

  • Barrier to go on zig zag end at SH1 – off Haunui – Waka Kotahi want to come to next meeting as it’s not a simple matter.
  • Paua fishing signs – MPI believes there are enough signs. Council doesn’t take responsibility. Pauline has got a new design done. Paul to follow up with Council – perhaps Bill Inge could help.


  • From PCC Review of the Porirua City Council General Bylaw 1991 – Part 16 Traffic – covers parking on berms.
  • Email from National Library asking for copy of Covid newsletter for archives. Kate responded.

Financial Report

As of 08 October:

BNZ         $ 2072.53

Income, 00:

            $  465.00   2022 Calendar Sales
            $   20.00   He Ara Tote
            $  340.00   Kōrero Invoices


            $  630.20   Kōrero

Payments - Owing:                        Nil
Invoices - Outstanding:                  Nil

Group funds

            $  315.08   Kōrero

Motion: Move report received Margaret, seconded Moira – approved.

​Projects Update

​He Ara Pukerua

Met on Ted Coates yacht. Community garden open day is in heritage week. Miria Pomare will talk about maori history. Discover Porirua augmented reality app also being launched. Pukerua Bay included. Will be done on same day as open day at Muri Station.

November 6 centennial highway panels will be launched. AA coming, Waka Kotahi, the Mayor etc. Cairn being refurbished. Refreshments available at Ted’s afterwards.

​Food Forest/Community Garden

Gearing up for the Open Day on October 30th . Calendar sales going well – have sold nearly 200 copies. Palmers will sell them on Labour weekend. Interested in whether Council supports local composting hubs – Euon suggested contacting them again.

​Kōrero Community Newsletter

Last one coming up for the year. Slightly over budget – need to find about $50 to cover costs. Kate has also applied for a grant for next year. We will review over summer before the new year.

​Village Planning Programme

We have 92 separate responses.  

Kate covered key themes – people liked the shorter vision. The key values haven’t changed much. Lots of feedback re infrastructure for escarpment track, walkability and encroaching on easements, green meadows needs a look, blocked drains and flooding, people want opportunities to work on the environment. Transition town ideas supported. Idea of some sort of gala or event highlighting various environmental activities in the bay. Concern for urban growth – balancing the need for housing with the desire to maintain a green belt and be consulted on kinds of development. Suggestions to broaden diversity and include Te Ao Maori and Te Reo.

Suggest we adopt three principles – Manaakitanga, Kaitiakitanga, and Whanaungatanga

​Executive Committee handbook

No update.

​Progress on Action Items (not included in project updates)

​General Business

  1. Raroa Rd development – resource consent has been given for the proposal. Ensuring the consent conditions are adhered to is a matter for the GWRC.
  2. Sale of old Grey property on SH1 – land has been sold – suggestion is that 500 houses could go in.

Agreed to ask for planner to attend meeting to discuss planning intent for PKB

  1. Memorial seat for David Olsen – His partner Jenny would like to donate a seat at Raroa reserve. Kate to suggest she contact Council. A tree for the community garden was also suggested.
  2. Wairaka Park playground – submissions have closed. We will hear back from Council shortly.
  3. Chandu’s wife passed away in September – it was agreed to buy a card and ask people to sign it at the AGM
  4. Fridge magnets for PKB website – to promote PKB website. Tommy’s have agreed to sponsor.
  5. PKB website – over last 2 years visits have gone up in March and August – Covid spikes.
  6. Annual General Meeting:
    1. Papers ready to go
    2. A reminder that zero waste comes under the RA umbrella
    3. Under Level 2 we wont serve refreshments

​Agreed Actions

  • Paul will look at parking on berms by-law and submit.
  • Kate to host next workshop on crafting village plan
  • Paul to talk to Bill Inge about paua sign at beach
  • Paul to ask Council to send planner to Council meeting
  • Moira to buy a card for Chandu

Meeting ended: 8.31pm
Next meeting: AGM 17 October; next monthly meeting 9 November 7.30pm