There is a tsunami warning in effect for most of New Zealand following an 8.1 earthquake in the Kermadec Islands region. Please monitor the official Civil Defence sources for more information:
- National Emergency Management Agency website,
- tune in to Radio New Zealand on 101.3 FM,
- if you’re at sea, stay away from the coast and tune in to VHF channel 16.
As of 10:30 am today (5 March 2021) People in all New Zealand coastal areas should:
- Listen to the radio and/or TV for updates, or check www.civildefence.govt.nz
- Listen to local Civil Defence authorities and follow any instructions regarding evacuation of your area
- Stay out of the water (sea, rivers and estuaries, this includes boats)
- Stay off beaches and shore areas
- Do not go sightseeing
- Share this information with family, neighbours and friends
Evacuation advice overrides the current COVID-19 Alert Level requirements. Listen to local Civil Defence authorities and follow any instructions regarding evacuation of your area. If you are told to evacuate do not stay at home. Stay 2 metres away from others if you can and if it is safe to do so.