August 2020 Residents Association meeting minutes

Tuesday, August 11, 2020
Pukerua Bay RSA, 5-7 Wairaka Road

Present: Paul FitzGerald (Chair), Nikky Winchester (Secretary), Iain McLean, Kate Dreaver, June Penhey, Margaret Blair, Mel Galletly, Bill Jackson, Nathan Waddle (PCC)
Community: Pat Hanley, Moira Lawler
Apologies: Pauline Morum, Jonathan Harker, Jenny Brash (GWRC)
Approval of previous minutes: moved Iain McLean, seconded Bill Jackson, none opposed, carried.

Porirua City Council update

Nathan explained that the District Plan has been approved, and PCC is now taking feedback and submissions on it; it will go into action in early 2021. PCC is about to start running workshops on the Long Term Plan. A workshop is being held tomorrow with NZTA regarding the plans for revocation of SH1 and SH58 post-Transmission Gully.

Matters arising

Iain, Kate and Nikky met to discuss the Village Planning survey. Kate has since talked to PCC about whether they will pay for design, advertising and printing. The hope is to get the survey circulated soon, and to organise a drop-in session one Saturday at St Mark’s. The intention is to present the results at this year’s AGM.


$0.14 interest has been received this month.


No correspondence has been received.

Progress on action items

Action: Bill/Jon to discuss options for cloud storage.

The Committee confirmed a strong preference to use a free public service, rather than a paid service.

Action: Jon to add the information about the 25 memorials around the village to the RA website once Margaret has collected the information.
Action:Jon and Pauline will meet as the new Fundraising committee, and present proposals to the Committee.
Action:Pauline/Iain/Kate to continue investigating options for organising a silent art auction in November/December.
Action:Margaret to remove Brian Sullivan and Pauline Morse as signatories from the PKBRA bank account as they are no longer committee members.
Action: Margaret/Nikky to discuss the process for adding Nikky to the list of signatories.
Action: Paul to write a proposal about amendments to the RA Constitution.
Action: Iain/Paul to ask PCC to send their monthly updates to secretary@ and chair@ and remove all other names from their mailing list.
Action: Jon to ask Dave Pepperell about posting information on the website about the Surfers Seat event.
Action: Jon to create a page for He Ara Pukerua on the RA website.
Action: Margaret to organise the seat plaque for Ernie Amey and Kath Fowler.

Projects update

Muri Platform building

The signed lease papers have not yet been received back from Kiwirail confirming the lease. This should be in hand before the official launch event on 5 September.

Action: Iain/Paul to follow up with Kiwirail.

Food forest/community garden and He Ara Pukerua

The Muri Station platform building and panels will be formally opened by the Mayor on Saturday 5 September at a launch commencing at 10.30am, followed up with tours around the food forest, where entertainment and refreshments will be available. Paul has asked PCC if the trees around the platform can be trimmed in advance of the event.

Action: Jon to create a page on the RA website.

Penguin survey

Pauline Morum forwarded an email from Glenda Robb at the Kapiti Coast Biodiversity Project. A survey will be carried out in late September with a penguin dog, to track the local little blue penguins. Glenda has offered to do a brief talk at the September Committee meeting.

Action: Paul to respond to Glenda and invite her to talk at the Committee meeting on 8 September.
Action: Jon/Nikky to promote meeting/talk online.
Action: Iain to look for name of DOC contact person re the installation of new signage about keeping dogs on a lead at the beach.

Waste Free PKB

Waste Free PKB’s collections have been extended to include metal beer bottle caps and wine bottle tops, metal jar lids, metal and plastic drink bottle tops, milk bottle caps, bread tags, can tabs, eyeglasses, facial skincare product packaging (plastic and glass containers plus lids, droppers and other complex closures), and writing instruments (including pens, felt tip pens, highlighters, markers, mechanical pencils and correction fluid – but not wooden pencils and chalk). This is in addition to the collections that have been in place since January 2019, which includes oral health products (toothbrushes, clean and empty toothpaste tubes and dental floss containers), AA and AAA batteries, and a number of different brands of coffee capsules.

Action: Bill to investigate possibility of recycling computer equipment.


The AGM needs to be held in October, probably after the October committee meeting (scheduled for 13 October). It was suggested that Glenda Robb be asked to present the results of the penguin survey.

Action: Paul to investigate a suitable date for using the School and Community Hall.

Other business

NZTA are keen to further extend Ara Harakeke; the next stage is from Pukerua Beach Road along SH1. A surveyor will be considering a possible route so as to avoid the slope and zigzag.

Meeting ended: 8.25pm
Next meeting: 8 September 2020