June 2020 Residents’ Association meeting minutes

Tuesday 9 June 2020
Pukerua Bay RSA, Wairaka Road

Present: Paul FitzGerald, Nikky Winchester, Iain MacLean, Kate Dreaver, June Penhey, Margaret Blair, Jonathan Harker, Mel Galletly, Nathan Waddle (PCC), Jenny Brash (GWRC)
Apologies: Bill Jackson, Pauline Morum
Approval of previous minutes: moved Iain MacLean, seconded Margaret Blair, none opposed, carried.

Porirua City Council update

Nathan explained that the Porirua City Council (PCC) draft annual plan has been circulated. A rates increase of 4.9% is proposed and is expected to be accepted by Council at the end of this month. Planning for the next long-term plan will start in August.  The Village Planning Programme  has been paused for two years for new projects, and PCC will focus on getting through the backlog of projects over the next 12-18 months.

Greater Wellington Regional Council update

Jenny explained that Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) rates will increase to about 4%. Jenny is heavily involved in monitoring the Plimmerton Farm development. There was some discussion about the plans for management of stormwater at Plimmerton Farm. Jenny reminded the committee that trains are free to the end of June.

Motion: The Residents Association will ask Porirua City Council to extend the submission deadline on the proposed Plimmerton Farm development by two weeks, beyond 3 July. Moved Iain MacLean, seconded Jonathan Harker, none opposed, carried.

Responses to PCC proposals

Rates remission and postponement policy

Iain and Paul have written a submission.

Village planning programme

Paul emailed the Northern Ward councillors to highlight the importance of the village planning budget.

Plimmerton Farm development

Action: Paul/Iain to write a submission on behalf of the RA as well as working with the other groups on a joint submission.


A $50 donation has been received.

Action: Paul/Margaret/June to start preparing a budget for the AGM.


Received 2 June, message via website from Marie Miguel regarding research she is undertaking about COVID-19. 

Action: Nikky to send email to Iain, Kate and Paul.

Progress on action items

Action: Jon to add the information about the 25 memorials around the village to the RA website once Margaret has collected the information.
Action: Jon and Pauline will meet as the new Fundraising committee, and present proposals to the Committee.
Action: Jon/Brian to upload photos of the t-shirts and tote bags so they can be sold via the website.
Action: Pauline/Iain/Kate to continue investigating options for organising a silent art auction.
Action: Iain/Kate to circulate link to updated Village Plan survey for Committee to check.
Action: Margaret to remove Brian Sullivan and Pauline Morse as signatories from the PKBRA bank account as they are no longer committee members.
Action: Paul to write a proposal about changing the RA structure and the Constitution.
Action: Iain/Paul to ask PCC to send their monthly updates to secretary@ and chair@ and remove all other names from their mailing list.
Action: Jon to ask Dave Petterell about posting information on the website about the Surfers Seat event.

Projects update

He Ara Pukerua

The new set of plaques have been installed, information about them has been posted on the He Ara Pukerua Facebook. The draft of one of the panels for the Muri Station display has been hung in the station building. The final stages of the panels are with the designer.

Action: Jon to create a page on the RA website.

Food forest/community garden

The “Last Wednesday of the month” group is doing regular weeding.

Action: Paul/Jon to talk to Bill Inge about getting QR code plaques printed.
Action: Iain to send list of plants to Jon.

Muri Platform building

Action: Iain to confirm with KiwiRail that we would like to include the additional space in the lease.

Other business

Action: Kate to feed back to Beccy Davis re suggestions about offering training in Zoom etc.

The group involved in the village COVID-19 response are doing a debrief of the actions they took, for future learning.

Paul and Iain had a meeting on Friday with Malcolm at PCC replanting on foreshore. PCC plans to work over several years along the foreshore (between the road and the water): they will be focusing on removing the weed species and replacing them with native plants to help mitigate against erosion.

Action: Kate to forward information on the latest Sustainable Coastlines collection to Jon for upload onto RA website.

Meeting ended: 9.12pm
Next meeting: 14 July 2020